Call Us at (703) 298-4556
License Application
Q: What if I miss a class?2020-04-29T19:04:07-04:00

A: Many adult students miss a class because of work or other personal commitments. If you miss a class do not give up, you may be able to complete the course! Attend as diligently as your schedule permits and check course requirements for more information. No refunds or prorated fees are given for missed classes.

Q: What if a class is canceled?2019-05-06T21:51:41-04:00

A: If a class meeting date is canceled by the instructor, the instructor will arrange to make up the missed classroom time with the class. If a class meeting date is canceled due to external events such as weather, the class will meet at the same time and the same location one week later – or at the next regularly-scheduled session unless we advise you differently.

Q: What if a class has already started? May I still register for it?2019-05-06T21:51:22-04:00

A: If you have had some previous exposure to the subject you wish to learn, you may feel comfortable joining a class after it has started. There is no tuition remission for classes that you missed, and you will not be able to register on-line. Please email us contactUS@contractVAcom to enroll in a class that has already begun.

Q: What about BOOKS?2020-04-29T19:04:58-04:00

A: The cost of the text is included with each class. Your book will be delivered to your classroom, or via USPS mail for online classes. There is no need to purchase books on your own.

A1. Where can I find the detailed licensing exam/test information? (Test contents, locations, fees…)2019-05-06T21:50:33-04:00

> Please check the website www.psiexams.comfrom the testing agnecy (including MD MHIC)

A2. What is the cost of PSI exams (full three-portion)?2020-04-29T19:24:15-04:00

The full three-portion VA Class-A exam can be taken for $85. Please see the website for more information:

A3. What if I pass 2 portions but failed one portion on a PSI Exam?2019-05-06T21:47:50-04:00

You can take only the failed as soon as the next day, paying an additional $35 per portion.

B1. Where can I find the detailed Virginia licensing information? (Requirements, paperwork, fees…)2019-05-06T21:46:28-04:00

Please check the website from the VA DPOR.

B2. Where can I find the detailed Maryland licensing information? (Requirements, paperwork, fees…)2019-05-06T21:46:04-04:00

Please check the website from the MD MHIC.

B3. What is the difference between a contractor’s license in the Commonwealth of Virginia vs. Fairfax County?2019-05-06T21:45:37-04:00

The Commonwealth of Virginia requires that if you are bidding on construction jobs in excess of $1,000, you must obtain a Virginia contractors license. Fairfax County has opted to impose an additional requirement – a Fairfax County Home Improvement License – on Class C contractors who perform work on residential property and who qualify by having the Home Improvement (HIC) or Building (BLD) classification on their State license.

B4. Where can I get application forms for a Class-C License?2019-05-06T21:45:17-04:00

Please check and select your the form that you are looking for.

C1. When & where is your VA’s mandatory 8-hour Prelicense class?2019-05-06T21:44:17-04:00

Please check our latest class schedule from the “Class Info” menu and select “VA Contractors mandatory 8-hour Pre-licensing.”

C2. Where can I find more information on the Guaranteed Class-A & B Passing Course?2020-04-29T19:24:51-04:00

Please see “Our Courses” tab at the top of the main menu. Select “Contractor Licensing Exam Prep VA/MD” and find information on Class A and B. This is a monthly course and runs 4-5 nights, see schedule for details.

C3. Do you offer one course that combines the 8-Hour Prelicense class and Class-A Prep?2020-04-29T19:25:19-04:00

Yes, we do offer this combination package! Please see “Our Courses” tab at the top of the main menu. Select “Contractor Licensing Exam Prep VA/MD” and find information on this package. This is a 5-day course, you can find the schedule with the info above.

C4. Do you offering Maryland’s MHIC class?2020-04-29T19:25:45-04:00

Yes, our Guaranteed one-day Seminar to pass the MHIC occurs every month (Sat. 1 pm to 8 pm) in Tysons location or every Wednesday (4-8 pm) in Silver Spring location. The fee for this course is $295 including all open-book text material, reference binder, and includes a 3-Month Guarantee. Please note that scheduling the test appointment takes 3 to 4 weeks, so advanced planning is highly recommended.

Please send your payment check to:

Ace Tech P.O. Box 3002 W. McLean VA 22103

(Check payable to: Ace Tech, including your return address, phone number and email address).

After payment clears we will send your text materials and application information through USPS mail.

We also offer open registration in Tysons Corner office every Wednesday 5 to 8 pm.

Why do I need a Contractor License in Virginia?2020-04-29T19:19:09-04:00

VA law requires contractors to be licensed. However, and more importantly, the purpose of licensing is to protect your health, safety, and welfare, as well as that of the public.

I do painting. Do I need a Contractor License?2019-05-06T21:40:01-04:00

Yes. Anyone who offers construction-related services in Virginia needs a Contractor License, regardless of what specialty.

I am a tradesman electrician, plumbing or HVAC. Do I need a Contractor License?2019-05-06T21:39:29-04:00

If you offer services independently, yes, you need a Contractor License in addition to your Tradesman License.

I don’t have time to take the Courses. Could someone else take the course and then have my company licensed?2019-05-06T21:39:07-04:00

Yes, the person who takes the course and passes the exam is called “Designated Employee” and can be one of your employees.

Does the “Designated Employee” need to have experience?2019-05-06T21:38:44-04:00

No, the experience requirement is for the “Qualified Individual” only.

Who is the “Qualified Individual”?2019-05-06T21:38:20-04:00

This is the person who does the hands-on work at the construction field.

How long does it take to be licensed?2019-05-06T21:37:57-04:00

Once you complete the requirements and send the application by mail, processing time is between 7 to 20 business days.

What if I need at least the Class C license right away?2019-05-06T21:37:23-04:00

Once you complete the course with us, you can go to the DPOR Board for Contractors’ offices in person , and may be able to obtain your contractor license the same day.

I have my Maryland Contractor License. If I do jobs in Virginia, do I need the Virginia Contractor License?2019-05-06T21:36:57-04:00

Yes, you do because there is no agreement between Virginia and Maryland.

I have my county Business License; can I work in construction without a Contractor License?2019-05-06T21:36:30-04:00

No, you must have your Contractor License in addition to your Business License.

When do I need a Business and/or a Contractor License in Fairfax County?2019-05-06T21:35:38-04:00

When your work exceeds $25,000 in a year in the county you have to have a Fairfax County Business License. To obtain your Business License you must have your VA Contractor License first.

Do I need a Virginia Contractor License in Winchester VA?2019-05-06T21:34:55-04:00

If you bid or perform a job in excess of $1,000 in any county, city or town in the State of Virginia, you must have a Virginia Contractor License.

How often do I have to renew my Virginia Contractor License?2019-05-06T21:28:50-04:00

The license needs to be renewed every two years.

In order to renew my license; do I have to take another course and/or exam?2019-05-06T21:28:28-04:00

No, you simply have to pay the renewal fee to renew your license.

Can I register for the course in-person on the day of the class?2019-05-06T21:27:55-04:00

Yes, but there is no guarantee that there will be an available space. That’s why we recommend you register early.

General Informatio​n for VA Contractor Licensing

A Pre-license course (8 hours seminar) must be completed by a member of responsible management or a designated employee for a VA Class A, B or C contractor license. The Pre-license course is required for anyone who needs a  VA contractor license, and is a separate requirement from the Class A Contractor License and Class B Contractor License examinations. The pre-license education course is a basic business course that covers relevant regulations, statutes, and requirements that are necessary for every business owner. The course is not specific to any particular classification or specialty.

Once you complete your Pre-License course requirement with us, Ace Tech Institute, will submit electronically your information to the DPOR (Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation) in order to accredit your training.  You will receive your Class completion Certificate at the end of the course; DPOR strongly encourages you to keep a record of completing the course (i.e. certificate of completion) in case it is requested by the Board office when you apply.

The VA CONTRACTOR LICENSE is ISSUED TO BUSINESS ENTITIES (regardless of the number of people employed by the business) AND NOT INDIVIDUALS. Our Instructors explain how easy it may be to establish as a business entity.

In order to complete your VA contractor License application, our Instructors explain the Board for Contractors Regulations and the current statues or laws (Title 54.1, Chapter 11 of the Code of Virginia) and the regulations of the DPOR Board for Contractors.

Eligibility for a  VA contractor license is based on the knowledge, skills, abilities, financial position, and other entry requirements set forth in §54.1-1106, §54.1-1108 and § 54.1-1108.2 (subject to the exemptions in §54.1-1101) of the Code of Virginia.

The VA Contractor License 

The Virginia Contractor license consists of two parts: (1) the class of the license (determines what, if any restrictions are placed on the size of contracts/projects that may be performed), and (2) the classification/specialty (which determines what type of work the licensed contractor is allowed to perform).

The DPOR Board for Contractors issues licenses in one of three classes: Class A contractor licenseClass B contractor license and Class C contractor license. In most cases, the type of contractor license you should apply for is based on the value or contract price of the projects your business will be bidding on or engaged in (see the Note below for specific exceptions).

Please read the following definitions before deciding which VA contractor license is suitable for your business.

Class A contractor license performs or manages construction, removal, repair, or improvements when (i) the total value referred to in a single contract or project is $120,000 or more, or (ii) the total value of all such construction, removal, repair, or improvements undertaken by such person within any twelve-month period is $750,000 or more.

Class B contractor license performs or manages construction, removal, repair, or improvements when (i) the total value referred to in a single contract or project is $10,000 or more, but less than $120,000, or (ii) the total value of all such construction, removal, repair, or improvements undertaken by such person within any twelve-month period is $150,000 or more, but less than $750,000.

Class C contractor license performs or manages construction, removal, repair, or improvements when (i) the total value referred to in a single contract or project is over $1,000 but no more than $10,000, or (ii) the total value of all such construction, removal, repair, or improvements undertaken by such person within any twelve-month period is no more than $150,000. 

Note: Landscape Irrigation and Water Well contractors must be licensed as a Class A contractor licenseClass B contractor license or Class C contractor license regardless of the dollar amount of the project or contract.

The classification or specialty (not to be confused with the license class) defines the scope of practice that may be performed by the licensed contractor. You may find a list of all of the different classifications and specialties issued by the Board for Contractors and a definition of the work that is permitted to be performed by each, in 18 VAC 50-22-20 of the DPOR.

It is important to choose the classification or specialty for your VA Contractor License carefully because if you perform work outside of the scope of practice for your license, you may be subject to disciplinary action by the board. Our Instructors will explain in more details so you will be able to choose the right classifications or specialties for your company.

Pre License course Education

Effective August 21, 2006, the Designated Employee or a member of Responsible Management of all contractors applying for licensure for an entity that is not currently licensed must successfully complete an eight hour business course approved by the Board for Contractors. This course is called business course or Pre-License course as well.

You must request that the course provider electronically submit proof of completion to the Board. This submission will identify the course, course provider, date of completion and the name of the individual who took the class. That’s why you must be sure that your provider it’s approved by the State.   Ace Tech Institute is an approved educational provider by the State of Virginia.

Designated Employee Examination Requirement

All business entities seeking a Class A contractor license or a Class B contractor license must declare a Designated Employee who (1) is a full-time employee or one of the business’ Responsible Managers (see Part I of the Board for Contractors Rules and Regulations); (2) is at least 18 years of age; and (3) has successfully completed the examination requirements.

The Designated Employee examination tests the candidate’s general business knowledge, their knowledge of the laws and regulations governing contractors and, if the applicant is seeking the Building (BLD) specialty classification on their license, their knowledge of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.

Our Instructors will guide you step by step in order to register with PSI and choose the right examination for your Class A contractor license or your Class B contractor license:

PSI Examination Services

Web Address:

The Class B contractor license examination is a two-part exam comprised of a Virginia Section (to test the candidate’s knowledge of Virginia’s laws and regulations governing contractors) and a General Section (to test the candidate’s general administrative and business knowledge). The Class A contractor license examination is a three-part exam consisting of the Virginia and General Sections (contained in the Class B exam), as well as, an Advanced Section which tests the candidate’s general administrative and business knowledge necessary to engage in Class A contracting. Additionally, Designated Employees in firms applying for a Class A or B Building License Classification must pass a Building Technical Examination administered by PSI Examination services.

Qualified Individual Requirements

All business entities must have a Qualified Individual for each of the classifications and specialties listed on their application. The Qualified Individual is the person that has the appropriate amount of experience in the classification or specialty being applied for on the application. A person may be the Qualified Individual for more than one classification or specialty. This individual must be either a full-time employee or a member of Responsible Management of the business.

Class A contractor license applicants must have a certain amount of experience as well as the Class B contractor license and Class C contractor license applicants. Our class Instructors will explain in detail this requirement and how a designated employee can get the license for your company without any experience at all.  At Ace Tech, our instructors are highly knowledgeable in the law and regulations pertaining to the VA contractor licensing before they can teach.

Go to Top