VA DPOR Regulatory Changes effective 2016;
Building Contractor (BLD) classification has been removed and replaced with Residential Building Contractor (RBC) and Commercial Building Contractor (CBC). Commercial Building Contractors (CBC): Individuals whose contracts include “construction, remodeling, repair, improvement, removal, or demolition on real property owned, controlled, or leased by another person of commercial, industrial, institutional, governmental, and accessory use buildings or structures”.
Pre-approval required for the Specialty exam – please refer to TABLE in bottom for the overall process, and below rule;
Effective 2016, all Specialty test will require pre-approval from DPOR prior to taking the examination. For more information please contact the Board for Contractors Licensing Section directly at (804) 367-8511. You will get the copy of 3 page ‘Experience Verification‘ form to submit VA DPOR, while in our class.
Your pre-approval (of your Specialty pre-qualification) can require anywhere from 2-4 weeks. Please check VA DPOR’s optional “Expedite process” requiring extra fees.
|Options||Class by||Dates||Time||Price (w/ Books)|
|A. Expedite course||Classroom||Jan. 19, 20 & 21||1-6 pm||$855|
|> Recorded class w/ live Q&A.||> Seating w/ social distance.|
|B. Online course||Virtual Zoom||Feb. 19 (5-Friday nights)||6-9 pm||$855|
|> Your location anywhere.||> We will contacting||Online access.|
Course Fee: $899 includes,
1) International Building Code (IBC, 2015), 2) Pipe & Excavation Contracting,
3) Erection of Steel Joist/Joist Girders, and 4) Building Code Basics/Commercial.
Also there are TWO class binders (equivalent/copies of 3 more textbooks) for you. No problem to deduct the book costs, in case you have any of the books.
Two more Textbooks are required (not included in the course fee):
1) Carpentry and Building Construction (2016) – $95,
2) OSHA (safety) Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926 – $45. Purchase available at Tysons office.
No additional charges until you pass the exam based on our Guarantee policy (good for two more free sessions for 6 months after the course completion date). A class completion Certificate of 15 hours to issue on final day of the session.
Please expect to visit 2-3 more evenings to review PSI exam questions at our Tysons location. Your visit to refresher will be every Monday and Thursday (2-8 pm) in general.
Per the regulation, if you perform specialty services, you must obtain all required specialty designations that includes but is not limited to the following specialties:
• Billboard/sign contracting
• Commercial improvement contracting
• Concrete contracting
• Farm improvement contracting
• Industrialized building contracting
• Landscape service contracting
• Marine facility contracting
• Masonry contracting
• Painting and wallcovering contracting
• Recreational facility contracting
• Roofing contracting
• Swimming pool contracting
– IBC codebook cost can be deducted from the tuition, if you already have that.
– Seats are limited, register early to secure your place.
– PSI Exam: Number of Questions: 80 Minimum Passing Score: 70% (56 correct answers) Time Allowed: 180 minutes
Thank you for the registration. We look forward to seeing you in class!