To be LICENSED as VA HIC (Home Improvement), you need pass the HIC Part – administered by PSI – to confirm that you have attained at least a minimum level of knowledge regarding the principles, practices, statutes and regulations on Home Improvement.
Pre-approval required for the Specialty exam – please refer to TABLE in bottom for the overall process, and below rule;
Effective 2016, all Specialty test will require pre-approval from DPOR prior to taking the examination. For more information please contact the Board for Contractors Licensing Section directly at (804) 367-8511. You will get the copy of 3 page ‘Experience Verification‘ form to submit VA DPOR, while in our class.
It has been reported that pre-approval can require anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.
Our monthly course (9 hours minimum) is held as TWO schedules;
…..A. Three-night online in October: 22 (Thurs.), 27 (Tues.) & 29 (Thurs.) , 6-9 pm – Virtual Zoom class.
◊ We will contact you on 21st for your Zoom test & access.
…..B. Two-day expedited Class in Tysons location – recorded class w/ live Q&A with instructor in the end.
……..> November 9 & 10 (1:00 – 5:30 pm) or, > December 16 & 17 (1:00 – 5:30 pm)
◊ Expect to visit us 1-2 more evenings (Monday & Thursday, after class completed) to review Questions before your PSI exam.
Course Fee: $455 (including two (2) main textbooks for passing the PSI test. No additional charge until you pass the test based on our Guarantee policy for 2 more months after the course completion date – need your PSI exam result copy to re-join the class).
> Class-C Package Fee: $519 (both Home Improvement exam prep (above) and mandatory 8-hour Prelicensing class)
The class is held in English but the Class Instructor speaks Spanish also.
Requirements for Obtaining your License
You must pass the HIC (Home Improvement) Exam to apply for the HIC classification.
· The Virginia Home Improvement examination is required for anyone who wants to perform framing work on remodeling.
· In addition, an 8 Hour Pre-Licensing Course is required to be completed to become licensed as a contractor.
· Passing this exam is required for Virginia Class A, B, or C license.
This contractor license includes repairs or improvements to one – family, two – family residential buildings or structures annexed to real property. This license also allows remodeling, repair, and improvement.
Reciprocity Agreements/ Continuing Education. As of this time, there is no reciprocal licensing. There are no continuing education requirements as of this time.
· The Home Improvement exam has 50 questions and a time limit of 120 minutes.
· You must score 70% or higher to pass the exam.
· Fees for the exams are $85 and this application fee is separate from your Class-A application.
· Topics on the Examination include concrete; masonry; Painting and Wall; Drywall; Rough Carpentry and Framing; Siding; Finish Carpentry; Roofing; Insulation; Safety; Windows and Doors.
Books and References for the Exam (incl. in your tuition – deduct book costs if you have already)
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be highlighted. All these materials are included in your tuition.
· Carpentry and Building Construction (2016 Ed.)
· OSHA (Safety) Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
We have One more reference material for you;
- Class Binder (w/ many existing PSI questions)
> Our tuition includes ALL above material. The book costs can be deducted from tuition if you already them.
> Our guarantee policy extends to two more sessions (or 6 nights) without charge until your pass the test.
> You will get the ‘Carpentry and Building’ book by mail after your on-line, or over phone payment.
Thank you for your registration.