We have 3 convenient locations in Tysons/Falls Church (open daily), Sterling (Lab), and Centreville.

Tyson’s/Falls Church Location (main office) 

7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 207s, Falls Church, VA 22043

– From 495 Beltway, take Exit 47-B. Right at first signal, 7777 is a six-story building on left.
Suite 207s (same building with ‘Stratford University’)

– Walk-in registration: Monday-Friday 10-6 (Closed Saturday, while COVID-19)

     View Larger Map: https://g.page/ContractorTradesmenLicensing?share

Sterling-Lab Location (Closed temporarily, while COVID-19)                                 

111-M Carpentry Drive, Suite 207, Sterling, VA 20166

– Located nearby Rt. 28 and Sterling Blvd. 2-story brick building, 2nd floor.

– Open only class day (every Saturday 9-2), weekday evening to open soon.

     View Larger Map: https://goo.gl/maps/Rk9ULkRDyVDcBWHKA

Centreville Location (Closed temporarily, while COVID-19)                                                     

5944 Centreville Crest Lane, Centreville, VA 20121

– Located in the Centreville Labor Resource Center (CLRC)

– Open only class day (every Wednesday 3:30 pm)

      View Larger Map: https://goo.gl/maps/H1poicg3dd3pobP56

General Information for VA Contractor Licensing

A Pre-license course or 8 hours course must be completed by a member of responsible management or a designated employee for a VA Class A contractor license or VA Class B Contractor license, or by a member of responsible management for a VA Class C contractor license.
The Pre-license course is required for anyone who needs a  VA contractor license and is a separate requirement from the Class A Contractor License and Class B Contractor License examinations.
The pre-license education course is a basic business course that covers relevant regulations, statutes, and requirements that are necessary for every business owner.
The course is not specific to any particular classification or specialty.

Once you complete your Pre-License course requirement with us, Ace Tech Institute, we will submit electronically your information to the DPOR (Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation) in order to accredit your training.
Also, you will receive your Class completion Certificate at the end of the course; DPOR strongly encourages you to keep a record of completing the course (i.e. certificate of completion) in case it is requested by the Board office when you apply.

The VA CONTRACTOR LICENSE is ISSUED TO BUSINESS ENTITIES (regardless of the number of people employed by the business) AND NOT INDIVIDUALS.
Our Instructors explain how easy it may be to establish a business entity.

In order to complete your VA contractor License application, our Instructors explain the Board for Contractors Regulations and the current statues or laws (Title 54.1, Chapter 11 of the Code of Virginia) and the regulations of the DPOR Board for Contractors.

Eligibility for a  VA contractor license is based on the knowledge, skills, abilities, financial position, and other entry requirements set forth in §54.1-1106, §54.1-1108 and § 54.1-1108.2 (subject to the exemptions in §54.1-1101) of the Code of Virginia.

 The VA Contractor License 

The Virginia Contractor license consists of two parts, the class of the license, which determines what, if any restrictions are placed on the size of contracts/projects that may be performed and the classification/specialty, which determines what type of work the licensed contractor is allowed to perform.

The DPOR Board for Contractors issues licenses in one of three classes: Class A contractor licenseClass B contractor license and Class C contractor license.
In most cases, the type of contractor license you should apply for is based on the value or contract price of the projects your business will be bidding on or engaged in (see the Note below for specific exceptions).

Please read the following definitions before deciding which VA contractor license is suitable for your business.

Class A contractor license performs or manages construction, removal, repair, or improvements when (i) the total value referred to in a single contract or project is $120,000 or more, or (ii) the total value of all such construction, removal, repair, or improvements undertaken by such person within any twelve-month period is $750,000 or more.

Class B contractor license performs or manages construction, removal, repair, or improvements when (i) the total value referred to in a single contract or project is $10,000 or more, but less than $120,000, or (ii) the total value of all such construction, removal, repair, or improvements undertaken by such person within any twelve-month period is $150,000 or more, but less than $750,000.

Class C contractor license performs or manages construction, removal, repair, or improvements when (i) the total value referred to in a single contract or project is over $1,000 but no more than $10,000, or (ii) the total value of all such construction, removal, repair, or improvements undertaken by such person within any twelve-month period is no more than $150,000.

Note: Landscape Irrigation and Water Well contractors must be licensed as a Class A contractor licenseClass B contractor license or Class C contractor license regardless of the dollar amount of the project or contract.

The classification or specialty (not to be confused with the license class) defines the scope of practice that may be performed by the licensed contractor.
You may find a list of all of the different classifications and specialties issued by the Board for Contractors and a definition of the work that is permitted to be performed by each, in 18 VAC 50-22-20 of the DPOR.

 It is important to choose the classification or specialty for your VA Contractor License carefully as if you perform work outside of the scope of practice for your license, you may be subject to disciplinary action by the board.
Our Instructors explain more details so you will be able to choose the right classifications or specialties for your company.

Pre License course Education

Effective 2006, the Designated Employee or a member of Responsible Management of all contractors applying for licensure for an entity that is not currently licensed must successfully complete an eight-hour business course approved by the Board for Contractors.
This course is called a business course or Pre-License course as well.

You must request that the course provider electronically submit proof of completion to the Board.
This submission will identify the course, course provider, date of completion and the name of the individual who took the class.
That’s why you must be sure that your provider it’s approved by the State.   Ace Tech Institute is an approved educational provider by the State of Virginia.

Designated Employee Examination Requirement

All business entities seeking a Class A contractor license or a Class B contractor license must declare a Designated Employee who (1) is a full-time employee or one of the business’ Responsible Managers (see Part I of the Board for Contractors Rules and Regulations); (2) is at least 18 years of age; and (3) has successfully completed the examination requirements.

The Designated Employee examination tests the candidate’s general business knowledge, their knowledge of the laws and regulations governing contractors and, if the applicant is seeking the Building (BLD) specialty classification on their license, their knowledge of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.

Our Instructors will guide you step by step in order to register with PSI and choose the right examination for your Class A contractor license or your Class B contractor license:

 PSI Examination Services

Web Address: www.contractva.com

 The Class B contractor license examination is a two-part exam comprised of a Virginia Section (to test the candidate’s knowledge of Virginia’s laws and regulations governing contractors) and a General Section (to test the candidate’s general administrative and business knowledge).
The Class A contractor license examination is a three-part exam consisting of Virginia and General Sections (contained in the Class B exam), as well as, an Advanced Section which tests the candidate’s general administrative and business knowledge necessary to engage in Class A contracting. Additionally, Designated Employees in firms applying for a Class A or B Building License Classification must pass a Building Technical Examination administered by PSI Examination services.

Qualified Individual Requirements

All business entities must have a Qualified Individual for each of the classifications and specialties listed on their application.
The Qualified Individual is the person that has the appropriate amount of experience in the classification or specialty being applied for on the application.
A person may be the Qualified Individual for more than one classification or specialty.
This individual must be either a full-time employee or a member of the Responsible Management of the business.

Class A contractor license applicants must have a certain time of experience as well as the Class B contractor license and Class C contractor license applicants. Our class Instructors will explain in detail this requirement and how a designated employee can get the license for your company without any experience at all.  At Ace Techour instructors are highly knowledgeable in the law and regulations pertaining to the VA contractor licensing before they can teach.